What agencies provide conservation programs to protect soil resources in SD? What are the conservation practices these agencies implement?

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) monitors erosion, provides technical assistance for permanent vegetation plant cover, implements grazing management plans, and monitors acres of conventional tillage versus conservation tillage.

SD Department of Agriculture (SDDA) develops forest management plans.

Conservation districts thin and replant acres of forests and shelterbelts.

Farm Service Agency (FSA) enrolls areas for Conservation Reserve Program (CRP).

SDDA, US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), and SD Game Fish and Parks (GFP) implement grazing management systems.